Biblical source for "onions and garlic"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Nov 19 19:51:57 UTC 2007

I haven't looked at any Colonial cook-books, but Amy's message
prompted me to look in EAN (my only quick 18th c. primary source
accessible from home), and make a fortunate discovery.

An article from the United States Chronicle, Oct. 13, 1785, p. 2, has
an extract of a letter from Dublin on Ireland's rights independent of
British control, which includes:

"Can they [I think meaning the British Parliament] suppose that
Irishmen are so desirous of 'onions and garlic of Egypt,' as to wish
again to return to their captivity, and to forsake those happy
prospects which were almost within the grasp of enjoyment."

So I turn to the Torah, Numbers 11:4-6:  "The riffraff in their midst
felt a gluttonous craving; and the Israelites, moreover, wept and
said, "If only we had meat to eat! We remember the fish that we used
to eat free in Egypt, the cucumbers, the melons, the leeks, the
onions, and the garlic. Now our gullets are shriveled. There is
nothing at all! Nothing but this manna to look to!"

This is surely the allusion, but I need someone wiser and more fluent
to explicate it for me!  A request as unrealistic in Massachusetts as
wanting the foods of fertile Egypt in the desert?

For the benefit of anyone interested, I repeat the original
quotation, circa 1690s:

"the representatives, though they send to the king for ships and men,
yet address him at the same time for their old charter. That is their
onions and garlic."

Joel