Biblical source for "onions and garlic"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Nov 20 01:06:11 UTC 2007

At 11/19/2007 04:41 PM, David Bergdahl wrote:
>I vote for the Biblical allusion--a perfect match!  "Onions & garlic" = the
>spices the Pharaoh supplied in captivity (for which read the king's
>charter).  Englishmen under the charter = bondage, but sending for ships and
>men = acts of a free people.

This I think is a misinterpretation.  To a Massachusetts citizen of
1695, the charter he was asking for the restoration of would
represent independence, not bondage.  The first charter (1627) gave
greater political and governmental rights to the citizens than the
second charter (1691).  For example, under the first charter the
people directly elected the governor.

Joel