Big Onion (Re: The Onion on U.K. slang)

Barry Popik bapopik at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 20 21:41:55 UTC 2007

"The Onion" is located in "the Big Apple." For those who missed it,
here's scholar Stephon Marbury on "the Big Onion." My website got
seven hits from this link -- I made about one cent.

http://gothamist.com/2007/11/15/stephon_marbury.php
November 15, 2007
Stephon Marbury Loves 'The Big Onion'
NYC & Co better update their marketing materials, because New York
City has a new name...The Big Onion. At least that's what Stephon
Marbury is calling New York these days. While professing his love of
yesterday's NY Post cover (we can't argue with him), Marbury e-mailed
The Post, "I must say the front page of The Post has to be the
funniest thing I have ever seen in a long time. I'm sitting on the
plane laughing. You have to love New York. The big onion will either
make you laugh or make you cry." Uh huh. Maybe his giant
basketball-player-sized fingers couldn't type correctly on his phone.
Nevermind that typing o-n-i-o-n is nowhere near a-p-p-l-e. One thing's
for sure, Marbury has as many layers as an onion.

While in town on his 1-day absence from the Knicks, Marbury paid his
respects to the family of his former coach Robert Williams, after
learning that he passed away Tuesday. Williams, known as Mr. Lou, was
a mentor and coach to countless kids, including Marbury and Sebastian
Telfair in Coney Island who played basketball on the court near his
apartment building in Surfside Gardens. One former player said that
Mr. Lou was "the backbone of this whole community." Marbury was able
to view Williams' body, where he was, by one account, "crying like a
baby." A memorial service for Williams will be held tomorrow in Coney
Island.

(...)

COMMENTS

Also the Big Onion is listed as a nickname for Chicago.. and this guy
searched the NYT and found no historical mention of Big Onion.

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/big_onion_recent_post_big_apple_nickname/