Big Onion (Re: The Onion on U.K. slang) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Nov 21 19:10:30 UTC 2007

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

It may not be in the NYT or the Brooklyn Eagle, but that doesn't mean
that
the nickname doesn't exist.  [and how did you search the Brooklyn Eagle?
When I gave it "the big onion" as a search string, it reduced the string
"onion" because "big" and "the" are common words, and returned over
10000 hits --
no way to go through them all and make sure that none of them are about
"the big onion"]
Your website post says: "The walking tour company
is about the only place you'll see "Big Onion." "  Not so . . .

David Maurer, "More Underworld Place Names"  _American Speech_
 Vol. 17, No. 1 (Feb., 1942), pp. 75-76
"Mr. Joseph Blackwell, Jr., of the Virginia State Prison, who with Mr.
Clinton Sanders of the
same institution has done extensive work with both criminal and
non-criminal slang, . . .
has kindly supplied me with two variants for New York City, The Big
Smear and The Big
Onion, from his own list of criminal place-names."

This citation doesn't predate your 1920's references to The Big Apple,
but given that the
source describes a poorly-documented area of speech [criminal slang], I
doubt it makes sense to
definitively say that "The Big Apple" predates "The Big Onion" -- only
that as far as the current
printed record is researched, citations for "The Big Apple" predate
those for "The Big Onion".

More Cites:

Luc Sante's 1991 book _Low Life:  Lures and Snares of New York_ refers
to "the Big Onion"
as tramp slang for NY, but it looks like he is just regurgitating
Maurer's citation above.

"The Great Bagel Bowl" By MICHAEL K. SOLOW, _New York Times_; Jul 2,
1978; pg. LI18
"At the end of the bagel bacchanal, with only the memory of crumbs
remaining, my father
announced -- as usual -- the final words:  "Having tasted the New York
onion bagel,
I'll have to say New York is still the Big Onion."  [note:  The NYT
store offers a photo
of the Jewish Lower East Side, ca. 1910, with the note:  "A
predominately Jewish area,
this section of New York was often known as the Big Onion."  Perhaps the
origin is from the
Jewish immigrant community?]