Semi-OT: Wikipedia's "Big Apple" vandalized again

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Thu Nov 22 13:45:44 UTC 2007

From:    Barry Popik <bapopik at GMAIL.COM>

<snip>

> Wikipedia, where any seven-year-old can vandalize any entry at any
> time. Ain't Wikipedia great?

Actually, like i tell my students, Wikipedia is a *wonderful* first
stop. You just need to be careful to never trust anything you see on it
without first checking out the references it's based on, and often you
need to pay more attention to a topic's Talk page than the main page of
content.

And anyway--if any random 7yo can edit it, so can you--if you see an
error, go ahead and fix it. (I did that myself recently when i stumbled
on the page on the Eastern Cherokee and found that it had been obviously
vandalized--all i had to do was go in and eliminate two words, and it
was all better again.) Seems the honorable thing to do.

--
David Bowie                               University of Central Florida