Pavarotte lives in infamy

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Nov 25 02:43:11 UTC 2007

"Living in infamy"?  I almost prophesized this idiom back when we were discussing "infamous," but I was sure no one would believe me.

  I've heard the "Pavarotte' " pronounciation many times, usu. with the rolled "r" that means "now I'm speaking real Italian."

  JL

Mark Mandel <thnidu at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Mark Mandel
Subject: Pavarotte lives in infamy

(posted to both ADS-L and ANS-L)

I am listening to a pledge break on PBS television WLVT. They've been
playing a Three Tenors concert, and right now two station bureaucrats are
talking about Pavarotte. That is, they're talking about Pavarotti, but they
repeatedly pronounce the name /paev@'rate/: the American pronunciation of
"Pavarotte", whoever that is, not "Pavarotti".

Not to be confused with /dZu'sEpi 'verdi/ Giusepp*i* Verdi.

And the woman has been assuring us that Pavarotte will live in infamy.

m a m