"Unring" Not in OED

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Tue Nov 27 04:58:18 UTC 2007

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 01:54:04AM +0000, ronbutters at AOL.COM wrote:

> I wonder what the criteria are for listing prefixed words
> when they are semantically transparent?

The main criterion, for this and most other things, is simply
currency. No, we can't put in every _non-_, _re-_, or _un-_
word that comes along, but the ones that have been in regular
use for centuries are likely to make the cut.

I think that _unring_ certainly deserves to be included,
because of the frequency of the proverb.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED