Fwd: -ckx consonant cluster?

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Wed Nov 28 13:36:17 UTC 2007

From:    Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>

> Am I correct in inferring that the "consonant cluster" in question is
> simply [ks]?  Or does the question relate to spelling?

I thought that the question was posted here because of the mention of
"moist" as a word that bothers people.

It's interesting that the OP also mentions "panties" as such a word.
Some years ago an undergrad student of mine did an informal survey of
her female family and acquaintances to find their generic term for
women's one-piece hip-to-toe hosiery. The oldest generally said
stockings, but then panty hose took over in a huge way--but *nobody*
under 30yo (about 6 or 7 years ago) in her survey responded with panty
hose, preferring nylons or even stockings.

Caveats about incredibly non-random samples &c., but i'd say that there
definitely does seem to be an aversion among younger speakers to the
word panty(ies).

--
David Bowie                               University of Central Florida