"Unring" Not in OED

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Nov 28 17:08:38 UTC 2007

>Paremiologishly speaking, I'd say part of the wit of the proverb
>"You can't unring a bell" consists in the rarity (if not, indeed,
>the presumed nonexistence) of "unring" as a word.
>
>--Charlie

...and, on the other side, the fact that it's semantically
well-formed (and just ruled out for the petty practical impediments
to time travel, reversing the VCR or DVD of life, and all that), as
opposed to "You can't unsmell bad" or "You can't unbe short" and the
like based on verbs that don't involve a change of state.
(Curiously, English did used to allow these, and you can find
attestations of "unbe", "unbetide", "untrusten", "unbecome",
"uncomprehend" and such in the OED, some as late as the 17th century,
with the meaning 'not to V', as opposed to the reversative meaning of
"unring", "unboil", or "unhappen".

LH