Big Onion; Origin of "Paul Bunyan" (1904? 1906?)

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Nov 29 22:12:43 UTC 2007

It might be of some historical interest to note that the great folklorist Richard Dorson coined the term "fakelore" specifically in reference to Paul Bunyan and his ilk--heroes with little (or no) basis in genuine oral tradition, largely the fabrications of journalists, chamber-of-commerce boosters, literary local-colorists, or writers of children's books, who would often package the tales as "folklore."

For "fakelore" the OED cites Dorson in 1949: ". . . not folklore but what I have elsewhere called fakelore." The "elsewhere" is mysterious; my surmise is that he may have used the term in an article completed and submitted earlier but printed later than 1949. Dorson divided the spelling in the title of his famous (among folklorists!) 1950 article "Folklore and Fake Lore" (_American Mercury_ 70: 335 f.).

--Charlie