antedating reinikaboo (1898)

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Mon Oct 1 10:28:18 UTC 2007

Quoting "Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET>:

> Is the etymology of "reinikaboo" known?
>
> [If not, I see a candidate.]
>
> -- Doug Wilson

Do tell. I have no serious candidate, nor have seen one.

In case it's of interest, the text Jesse alluded to (I guess) is:

Arizona Sketches...Why Wolfville Lied When Whisky Bill Died
By ALFRED HENRY LEWIS. The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Feb
23, 1896. p. 14 (1 page). It begins:
"Lies in the lump [?] that away," said the Old Cattleman, apropos of
some slight
discussion we were engaged in, "is bad, an' make no doubt about it--that is,
lies which is told malevolent.
"Now, thar's a sort of rannikaboo liar on earth, an' I don't mind him nor his
fabrications none whatever. That's one of these yere amiable gents
who's merely
aimin' to entertain you, an' sorter spreads himse'f an' gets plumb
excursive in
conversation, castin' loose from facts as vain things onworthy of him.

Stephen Goranson
http://www.duke.edu/~goranson