"Hard times make monkey eat cayenne pepper" (Clarence Thomas's grandfather)

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Oct 3 11:44:33 UTC 2007

Whiting's _Modern Proverbs_ (1989; T156), gives "Tough times make monkeys eat red peppers" (from _Time_ magazine, 1958: "an axiom learned during his East Harlem youth").

Prahlad (p. 239) cites Elsie C. Parsons, _Folk-Lore of the Antilles_ (1943): "Hunger make monkey blow fire" (from Grenada).

Whiting cites as an analog the much older "Dainty dogs eat dirty puddings."

--Charlie