"Hunc over de" clubs, NY 1736?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Oct 3 16:00:48 UTC 2007

Doug, I don't think your guess is out in left
field.  It has plausibility to me -- but of
course no proof (yet).  If this learned list
can't help further (George Thompson wrote me
privately that he was going to look into it), I
may try some 18th century historians.

Intriguingly, the earliest article Early American
Newspapers finds for "hunc over de" (as three
separate words) is the possibly-satiric one I
excerpted here.  [A correction -- the date of
publication  is 1 March, not 25 February (1736 NS).]

The only additional hit from EAN before 1748 is
the Boston Evening-Post, 12 April 1736, which
copied from the New-York Weekly Journal of 15
March (not found by EAN with my search).  The
writer of a letter signed Andrew Merril is
serious about political party factionalism at
social gatherings and clubs that disappoints him,
a visitor from overseas.  After describing his
experiences at various men's and women's clubs, he writes:

"I fell into Company one Day with the _Hunc over
De_ Club, they were merry enough, but they had
like to have demolished the Ladies Tea Table at
whose House the Club was; they had not much Party
till Supper cane, and then they were as warm as Scallopt Oysters."

[Another mystifying reference!  Is Merril
reporting factually?  Does "Scallopt Oysters"
hint at something?  (By the way, this antedates
OED2!)  Is "Party" a play on words?  Etc.]

I did not search further, as it appeared there
would be a large number of false positives.  If,
as one modern author wrote, there are many
references to the Hunc Over De club in the New
York Papers circa 1736, EAN did not find
them.  Nor did it find any "junco verde".

Joel