antedating (?) "Katy, bar the door" (1890)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 5 04:03:15 UTC 2007

Bruce Dern! I knew that "Park" was really "Pak," but I thought that
the r-ful spelling was the consequence of Americanization driven by
the large number of units of the 8th Army stationed in South Korea.
Wasn't there a president known as Park Chung-Hee or something similar,
back in the day?

-Wilson

On 10/3/07, Dennis R. Preston <preston at msu.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: antedating (?) "Katy, bar the door" (1890)
>
> Wudn jus Harris; plenty of such "r" usage, even in the British
> influenced spelling of Korea names (e.g., all the poor guys named
> 'Park' who get called /park/ instead of /pak/).
>
> dInIs
>

> >---------------------- Information from the mail header
> >-----------------------
> >Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> >Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
> >Subject:      Re: antedating (?) "Katy, bar the door" (1890)
> >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> >I considered giving consideration to the work of Harris before I wrote
> >and decided, "Fuck it. I'm not going to make any attempt to account
> >for Harris's orthography, as opposed to the orthography here. Unless
> >it can be shown that Harris's orthography set a standard that was
> >followed by all other writers attempting to render into writing the BE
> >dialects of their localities, Harris's orthography, which I've found
> >not worth the effort to decipher, to the extent that I've read
> >probably less than a paragraph of his work in the original, is
> >irrelevant. Indeed, even if it could shown that Harris's work did set
> >the orthographic standard, it can not be shown that every writer used
> >it. It's not even true that current standard English, as native
> >speakers write it, has a single, invariant orthography. I know what
> >I've heard and, if I want to hear it again, right now, all that I have
> >to do is to call Cudn Lois or fire up the right blues recording.
> >
> >That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
> >
> >-Wilson
> >
> >On 10/3/07, Dennis R. Preston <preston at msu.edu> wrote:
> >>  ---------------------- Information from the mail header
> >>-----------------------
> >>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> >>  Poster:       "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU>
> >>  Subject:      Re: antedating (?) "Katy, bar the door" (1890)
> >>
> >>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>
> >>  Wilson,
> >>
> >>  It's very doubtful that this orthographic /r/ indicates a phonetic
> >>  one. In reading the JC Harris stories, for example, folk who don't
> >>  know southern speech interpret such things as Br'er Rabbit as BRY-er
> >>  or some such silliness. We know, of course, that it is is "brother"
> >>  (bruh) and that Harris was using the "r" to indicate vowel quality
> >>  (usually wedge or lengthening, as in "bar" in your quote I think, or
> >>  both).
> >>
> >>  dInIs
> >>
> >>  >---------------------- Information from the mail header
> >>  >Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> >>  >Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
> [...]

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens