paralepsis

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Oct 7 18:27:17 UTC 2007

FWIW, "paralepsis" is the form that I'd have used. I presume, since I can't remember clearly, that my high-school Latin teacher used it in discussing Cicero.  (Tedious then, highly nostalgiafied now.)

  He was from Maine and not a substituter of / I /  for  / E /.

  Recommended reading for high-school Classicists: poem, "The School Boy Reads His Iliad," by David Morton (1921) (though it was not "tops" that were on our minds).

  JL

Mark Mandel <thnidu at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Mark Mandel
Subject: paralepsis

In another forum, I just used the word "paralepsize" as a nonce coinage in
the sense 'to suggest something by saying you won't mention it', from
"paralepsis". Then I looked for it in OED Online and got

There are no results.
The nearest alphabetical match-point is displayed in the side-frame.

and that was "paralerema, n".

"What?", I thought, "don't they have 'paralepsis'?!" And the answer is, not
exactly: it is listed only as an irregular form of "paralipsis", in
centuries "15 19-". I was surprised, having known the word for years, but
only in the "e" spelling. Googits are about 2-1 for the "i" spelling:

"about 21,300 for paralipsis"
"about 10,300 for paralepsis"

m a m

Building a website is a piece of cake.