riflerized

Alex Steer oupr0026 at HERALD.OX.AC.UK
Tue Oct 9 16:17:39 UTC 2007

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, Grant Barrett wrote:

> Does anyone have any idea what is meant here by "riflerized"? I
> assume it's a transcription error but I can't figure out what it's
> supposed to be.

Various quick searches for rifleri[sz]* have turned up nothing further. My best
guess would be a mishearing (a bit of a long shot to mishear 'g'<-->'f', but
audio 'noise' could be a factor) for 'regularized'. That would make sense in
context, as:

'In California, we have what's called "regularized decisions," or "regularized
declarations." The court can make rulings based on declarations during these
pendente lite hearings.'

In which 'regularized' is the common term, and 'declaration' and 'decision'
vary. This also seems to fit the contextual clue of a declaration that becomes
a ruling (which regularized = 'made into a ruling').

Alex