Fwd: Hyphens: Death-Knell. Or Death Knell (NY Times)

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Wed Oct 10 13:42:48 UTC 2007

From:    Laurence Urdang <urdang at SBCGLOBAL.NET>

> In unresponsive reply to Barnhart's note, anymore seems to have
> passed, unnoticed but by me, from being two words (and so pronounced
> in my speech) to a single word, without a hyphenated transition.

I feel like there's a difference between 'anymore' and 'any more', and
there are times in my writing when i'm certain that one is right and the
other is wrong--but it's a subtle thing, and i'm not certain of what's
going on myself, i've just thought it's bizarre of myself in the past.
(And, FWIW, i can use 'anymore' positively or negatively, so it's not that.)

I'll have to pay attention to my own usage when it comes up again, and
report back sometime.

--
David Bowie                               University of Central Florida