[ADS-L] Louisiana vow els

Fri Oct 12 22:49:17 UTC 2007

In a message dated 10/12/07 3:46:49 PM, zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU writes:

>    http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/005015.html

Wonderful, Arnold! I would add only that, when students object that specific
linguistic changes MUST have a particular explanation--that language change
cannot be random--I ask them why it rained yesterday and not today. It seems to
me that folk wisdom actually has a fairly well-developed sense of the random
nature of some phenomena (e.g., in addition to the weather, the sudden
appearance of a giant number of gnats that recently changed the course of baseball
history; "just not getting the cards" at poker; meeting the love of one's life in
Bora-Bora).

 See what's new at
http://www.aol.com