follow suite >> follow suit

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon Oct 15 00:29:11 UTC 2007

>>I don't know how I'm supposed to pronounce "suite" in "follow suite".
>
>Well, as I learned it, same as "suit." But it is an interesting
>question -- are there people out there who would say "follow suite"
>with "suite" like "sweet"?

I guess I would, if requested to read out loud "follow suite" from
one of the many books showing this spelling ... I like spelling
pronunciations and I don't know offhand of any "suite" in English
which cannot be 'correctly' pronounced "sweet" (I pronounce "bedroom
suite" etc. this way too).

I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Try Googling <<"simply follow sweet">>.

-- Doug Wilson