"Gray Rape" (from NY Times)

Barry Popik bapopik at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 16 04:11:00 UTC 2007

"Gray Rape"--I just don't like this one...Sorry for the bad intro to
the previous post, but I'd spent much time researching "cowboy cut" (I
now have a "cowboy-cut jeans" entry on my wenbsite as well) and the
wife was kicking me out the door.
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/15/gray-rape-a-new-form-of-date-rape/
October 15, 2007,  4:00 pm
'Gray Rape': A New Form of Date Rape?
By Sewell Chan

When Robert D. Laurino, chief assistant prosecutor for Essex County in
New Jersey, told a friend that he was speaking on a panel about the
topic of "gray rape," the friend was confused. "Are you talking about
the rape of the elderly?" the friend asked.

An article in the September issue of Cosmopolitan magazine, "A New
Kind of Date Rape," defined "gray rape" as "sex that falls somewhere
between consent and denial and is even more confusing than date rape
because often both parties are unsure of who wanted what."

A standing-room-only audience packed the lobby of the Gerald W. Lynch
Theater at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice this morning to
listen to a vigorous panel discussion on the idea of "gray rape" — and
whether the term is even meaningful, helpful or harmful. Not too many
events in the intellectual life of New York City bring together Jeremy
Travis, the legal expert and former city police official who is the
president of John Jay, and Kate White, editor in chief of
Cosmopolitan, which sponsored the event.