"Mop sauce" not in revised OED?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 16 21:49:04 UTC 2007

Barry quotes:

"Today you can buy a miniature tool that looks like a kitchen mop to
mop your meat."

There is nothing "today" about this tool. As long as i've been living,
there has been available at any well-stocked grocery store, at least
as far north as Missouri, a dish-washing tool known as a "dish mop."
The dish mop, as noted above, looks like a miniature kitchen(-floor)
mop. In my experience, it is the dish mop that is the mop of choice
WRT cooking, especially WRT barbecue. Since the dish mop is primarily
used as a tool with which to wash dishes - I myself have personally
used many dish mops in the course of my life, both in washing dishes
and in barbecuing - it is a only newly-bought dish mop is used in
cooking.

WRT the LBJ barbegue story, under the conditions described, Jetton may
very well have used an actual kitchen mop. But the claim that this is
the origin of the cooking term "mop" is laughable.

-Wilson

On 10/16/07, Barry Popik <bapopik at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Barry Popik <bapopik at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      "Mop sauce" not in revised OED?
>
> MOP SAUCE--14,800 Google hits
> MOPPING SAUCE--2,880 Google hits
> MOPPIN SAUCE--1,350 Google hits
>
> I just added "mop sauce" to my website. OED started its revision at
> the letter "M," but doesn't have "mop sauce." This is insane.
>
> Jesse and Ben and y'all must fly down to Austin at once...I'll
> probably get to "soppin' sauce" later today. Any moppin' & soppin'
> comments appreciated.
> http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/mop_sauce_mopping_sauce_moppin_sauce/
> Entry from October 16, 2007
> Mop Sauce (Mopping Sauce; Moppin' Sauce)
> Mop sauce (also "mopping sauce" or "moppin' sauce") is also known as
> basting sauce. It's "mopped" on to barbecue while the food is turned.
> President Lyndon B. Johnson's barbecue master, Walter Jetton
> (1906-1968), popularized "mop sauce" in a 1965 book on Texas barbecue,
> but Jetton didn't invent "mop."
>
> The mop sauce often contains ingredients such as beef stock, vinegar,
> Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, dry mustard, black pepper, and
> salt.
>

> About.com: Barbecues & Grilling
> Mop from Derrick Riches
> The baste of Barbecue
> When President Johnson threw a barbecue he called upon is favorite
> Pitmaster Walter Jetton to cook up a meal that often feed hundreds of
> people. This meal would be cooked on an open air fire pit that
> measured about 40 square feet. Walter would cover every square inch of
> this surface in ribs, roasts and meats of every variety. To keep the
> meat moist he mopped it, with a real mop. Hence the barbecue term,
> "mop".
>
> Today you can buy a miniature tool that looks like a kitchen mop to
> mop your meat. The cotton fibers hold the thin mop sauce and make it
> easy to dash large amounts on at once. But a mop isn't just another
> kind of barbecue sauce. It is a thin, watery solution that drips over
> meat adding moisture to combat the drying of an open fire. Think of it
> this way; a sauce is applied with a brush, like a paint brush.
>
> A mop, sometimes called a sop, is applied with, well a mop. Sauces are
> thicker than mops. Mops should have a consistency close to water.
>
> Food Network
> Austin, Texas Style Mop Sauce Recipe courtesy Captain Shawn Newsom
> Show:  FoodNation With Bobby Flay
> Episode:  Austin (Texas)
>
> During a barbecue, venison or game should be mopped with a real Texas
> Style Mop Sauce.
>
> 2 cans (12 ounces) beer, no malt liquors or dark beers
> 6 ounces yellow mustard
> 8 ounces Worcestershire sauce
> 12 ounces hickory-flavored barbecue sauce
> 4 ounces honey
> Pinch hot chile flakes
> 4 ounces wine vinegar
> 1 white onion chopped
> [...]