The competitive sport of antedating

Shapiro, Fred Fred.Shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Oct 17 11:54:50 UTC 2007

I would have thought that I'd be mentioned in an article about the sport of antedating.  For the record, I was the one who found the 1860 citation for "Windy City," not Barry (although Barry was certainly the one who earlier disproved the Dana story).

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Benjamin Zimmer [bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 11:49 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: The competitive sport of antedating

Another media appearance for ADS-Lers... In the Sunday Boston Globe,
Erin McKean subbed for Jan Freeman, writing about antedating as sport:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2007/10/14/what_came_first/

Discusses antedatings from Barry Popik, Jerry Cohen, Grant Barrett,
and me, along with unnamed others.

--Ben Zimmer