"Vocal cords"?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 17 16:42:12 UTC 2007

I've long - ever since I learned to read and spell back in the
'Forties - been under the impression that the only way to spell "vocal
chords" was "vocal chords." At some more recent time, like the
'Eighties, I got the impression that "cords" was a technical spelling
peculiar to the writings of linguists.

I am amazed to learn that, until now, "cords" was considered to be the
only "correct" spelling, despite its extreme rarity, even in technical
writing. Who knew?

OTOH, "free _reign_"? WTF?! I had no idea that this variant even
existed before I saw the Dictionary Day film. As the late, great
Richard Prior put it, "Unreal. An' I ain't gawin' faw it." Maybe I
need to spin' mo' time down own dih cowna axin' niggaz how tuh spayl
shit. Reading's obviously a waste of time.

-Wilson

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens