"I ate so much okra I slid out of bed!" (1930s? East Texas?)

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Oct 19 12:03:56 UTC 2007

It's good to hear that civilization has arrivred in New Haven, and that Larry is relishing the gustemic delights thereof.

One point: How "traditional" are sweet-potato fries? Having eaten Southern cooking (black and white) all my life, I had never encountered them until just a dozen or so years ago--at an upscale, yuppified, thoroughly nonSoul restaurant. I assumed that some comparatively recent innovator came up with the bright (and tasty) idea of adapting french fried potatoes into something more healthful (or at least more colorful).

--Charlie