"Silver Tsunami" (first "boomer" files for Social Security)

Fri Oct 19 16:46:45 UTC 2007

Tsunami does not mean "harbor wave" in English, but a wave caused by an
earthquake or volcanic eruption.

The morpheme tsu (津) certainly does mean harbor or port* and nami (波)
means wave in Japanese, but that morphology is invisible in English,
which is why it's a nice substitute for tidal wave.

* I wonder if tsu is recognizable even to native Japanese speakers. I
don't think I've ever heard it outside of place names and the word tsunami.

Benjamin Barrett
a cyberbreath for language life
livinglanguages.wordpress.com