prophesai for prophecy

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Oct 22 14:43:29 UTC 2007

At 6:38 AM -0700 10/22/07, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>The only pronunciation and spelling I've ever known for the verb in
>question are as Arnold and Wilson say.
>
>   BTW, Cate is about to play the role of Bob Dylan in an upcoming biopic.
>
>   JL

...which actually brings up one sorta counterexample to the first
observation:  in "The Times They Are a-Changing", Dylan sings

Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen

But this is only a sorta counterexample, because it arguably involves
not the verb "prophesy" but a different (albeit eggcornishly formed)
verb.

LH