prophe(s/c)y again

James Harbeck jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA
Thu Oct 25 00:54:20 UTC 2007

I know that more than once I have heard the verb "prophesy" read with
/-i/ on the end by people reading scripture in church. I would
presume that they simply weren't familiar with the verb (or with its
pronunciation, at least), since it is heard much less often than the
noun. I wonder whether we will see a trend towards use of "prophesy"
pronounced with an /-i/ ending if people continue to see it every so
often in text but never to heard pronounced with the /-ai/. I suspect
that in general usage "prophesize" is more likely to gain the upper
hand, though, as it's formed in a rather more standard way for modern
users.

James Harbeck.