Missouri City, TX has a new motto -- "Show Me"

Barry Popik bapopik at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 29 07:12:00 UTC 2007

For Gerald Cohen and whoever else is interested...If Corpus Christi
were to use "Windy City," I still wouldn't get in the papers down
here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_City,_Texas
Missouri City is a city located in the U.S. state of Texas within the
Houston–Sugar Land–Baytown metropolitan area. The city is mostly in
Fort Bend County with a small portion within Harris County. As of the
2000 U.S. Census, the city had a total population of 52,913 (though a
2004 estimate placed the population at 62,570).
http://www.khou.com/news/local/fortbend/stories/khou071011_jj_missouricityshowmecity.15eb14bd4.html
Missouri City to be known as 'Show Me' city

03:35 PM CDT on Thursday, October 11, 2007

KHOU.com staff report

Missouri City wants to get out from the shadows of Houston and Sugar Land.

So, it will now be called the "Show Me" city after the state it was
named after.

The city will also get a new logo to go along with that slogan.

Officials say they asked residents how best to improve the city's image.

Most voted against changing Missouri City's name.

The new slogan and logo will be phased in over the next year
http://www.khou.com/news/local/fortbend/stories/khou071016_tnt_missouricity.178d79c05.html

Missouri City gets a new logo

05:26 PM CDT on Tuesday, October 16, 2007

KHOU.com staff report
Missouri City has a new logo.

The logo was approved Monday night.

It's all a part of a new image campaign that also includes the slogan,
"The Show Me City."
http://www.fortbendnow.com/opinion/3484/why-couldnt-citizens-have-come-up-with-mo-city-slogan
Opinion/Analysis
Why Couldn't Citizens Have Come Up With Mo. City Slogan?
Oct 25, 2007, 12 08 PM

I have a comment about Missouri City's new slogan of "Show Me". In the
mid- 1890s it is said that a mining town in Colorado had to use miners
from Missouri due to a strike. These miners were not familiar to
Colorado methods of mining and required lots of instruction. Pit boses
began saying "That man is from Missouri, he doesnt know anything, you
will have to show him. Its said that this is where the show me state
came from.

Sounds like ineptness is associated with the" show me state",, guess
our city council finally got it right at least where they are
concerned anyway.

Why couldn't the citizens been allowed to have input with a contest to
come up with a slogan and logo.. or is it that this council doesn't
want any input because if citizens become involved , then questions
begin to be asked and council must come up with some answers.

Just keep 'em dumb and stupid I guess.

David Whythe
Missouri City