Antedating of "Capitalism"

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Tue Oct 30 13:12:33 UTC 2007

Quoting "Shapiro, Fred" <Fred.Shapiro at YALE.EDU>:

> capitalism (OED 1854)
>
> 1848 _Caledonian Mercury_ 25 Sept. (19th Century British Library
> Newspapers)  Lord George Bentinck ... gathered them once more
> together to resist once more that sweeping tide of capitalism and
> money-loving which threatens our country with the horrors of a
> plutocracy.

PRIVATE CORRESPONDENCE
Caledonian Mercury (Edinburgh, Scotland), July 31, 1820; Issue 15431
Category:News
[19th Century British Library Newspapers]
London, July 28
Extract of a letter from Buenos Ayres, dated 8th May.
Our political affairs have not yet settled into tranquility and order; the
spirit of capitalism still exerts itself for regaining the ground which it has
lost, and is assisted by the remains of Pueyrredon's adherents.

SG