More color confusion

Evan Bradley yevb00 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 30 16:49:09 UTC 2007

According to Wikipedia, "Pure topaz is transparent but is usually
tinted by impurities; typical topaz is wine or straw-yellow. They may
also be white, gray, green, blue, pink or reddish-yellow and
transparent or translucent."

I'm a guy, as well, and I don't keep up with the latest jewelry
trends, but perhaps the blue has become more popular than the common
yellow variety, thereby shifting the color associated with the gem
name?

Also according to wikipedia, "A recent trend in jewelry is the
manufacture of topaz specimens that display iridescent colors, by
applying a thin layer of titanium oxide via physical vapor deposition,
this stone is then sold as 'mystic topaz'."  If this catches on, maybe
'topaz' will come to mean iridescent ;)