Antedating of "Linguistic"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Oct 31 00:27:46 UTC 2007

At 10/30/2007 07:59 PM, Fred Shapiro wrote:
>Joel,
>
>I'm not sure what you can use the university name for except to say
>that  I as an individual employee of the university have found this
>database to have some value.  Note that Yale has not subscribed to
>it, only gotten a trial, and it is questionable whether Yale will
>subscribe because it is very expensive (around $100,000, I believe).

Fair use of Yale's name?  "In his research, Fred Shapiro, editor of
the excellent _Yale Book of Quotations_, has found Yale's access to
the _19th Century British Library Newspapers_ database to be very
valuable."  (Just kidding; but I might say that I know that Yale and
Duke have access to it.)

Joel