Antedating of "Capitalism" and "capitalist"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Oct 31 01:13:13 UTC 2007

Fred,

My impression from having quickly perused the two articles (1816,
1817) was that "capitalism" was a use of the monetary sense.  To me
the 1816 quote's "for their private advantage" and the 1817 quote's
"general good" seems more likely to refer to economics than to the
capital of the country.  The 1917 article also speaks of trade and of
the junta at Buenos Ayres appropriating to themselves the emoluments
consequent on a revolution.
Having gone back to the 1815 and 1817 articles now, one person might
read "capitalism" as economic, while another might read it as
referring to the centralized, dictatorial "junta" at Buenos Ayres.  A
historian of Argentina might be needed to clarify this.

For the latter, http://www.zum.de/whkmla/region/samerica/argentina18161870.html

"The United Provinces of La Plata saw the emergence of two political
groupings : the UNITARIANS favouring a strong centralist state, and
the FEDERALISTS who advocated strong regional autonomy.
As the regional political strongmen (CAUDILLOS) resisted attempts to
impose central authority from Buenos Aires, the country found itself
in a protracted civil war."  (This I think is after 1817.)

Joel