one-time "whenever", live

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Sep 2 02:58:30 UTC 2007

>Laurence Horn wrote:
>>Just listening to Red Sox 22-year-old rookie "phenom" [that's
>>PHEE-nom] Clay Buchholz in his post-game interview after throwing a
>>no-hitter in his second appearance in the major leagues.  He was
>>asked about a great play behind him by second baseman Dustin Pedroia
>>who took away what looked like a sure hit in the seventh inning and
>>he responded along the lines of
>>
>>"Yeah, whenever he made that play I knew I had a shot [at the no-hitter]."
>>
>>Not surprisingly, he sounds Southern (to me), and sure enough his bio
>>lists him as born in Nedarland, TX and as having attended Angelina
>>JC, also in Texas.
>>
>>I've read about (and even written about) episodic "whatever", but
>>I've never actually heard one live as far as I can remember.  Pretty
>>neat!
>
>He had several of them, along with a few more normative "whatever"s.

Alice, do you remember the syntactic context better than I do?  I was
so overwhelmed between the no-no and the episodic "whatever" that I
didn't really catch them, except for (sort of) the one about the play
when Tejada was robbed.  And I don't think any transcripts are
provided of post-game interviews (and even if they were, they'd
probably be "corrected").

LH