one-time "whenever", live

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Sun Sep 2 03:56:01 UTC 2007

At 11:08 PM 9/1/2007, you wrote:
>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: one-time "whenever", live
>
> >Just listening to Red Sox 22-year-old rookie "phenom" [that's
> >PHEE-nom] Clay Buchholz in his post-game interview after throwing a
> >no-hitter in his second appearance in the major leagues.  He was
> >asked about a great play behind him by second baseman Dustin Pedroia
> >who took away what looked like a sure hit in the seventh inning and
> >he responded along the lines of
> >
> >"Yeah, whenever he made that play I knew I had a shot [at the no-hitter]."
> >
> >Not surprisingly, he sounds Southern (to me), and sure enough his bio
> >lists him as born in Nedarland, TX and as having attended Angelina
> >JC, also in Texas.
> >
> >I've read about (and even written about) episodic "whatever"...
>
>I meant "whenever" here, as above, not "whatever".  Whatever.
>
>I'm not sure where the isogloss actually is.  I recall it being in
>the Smoky Mountains compendium of Michael Montgomery and other
>inventories of southern and mountain speech, and Doug's comment on
>Pittsburgh would extend it northward, but I'm not clear on where it
>*can't* occur (other than the echt northeast and coastal California).
>
>LH

It's been reported here in SE Ohio, which is an extension of the West
PA/Pittsburgh dialect area, as I've often noted (my LVC map of this
extension was even on last year's NWAV t-shirt!).  But I doubt that it
extends much farther north and is rare even here now.  Central and Northern
Ohio are quite different animals.  Southern Indiana and Illinois, anyone?

Beverly