lexical query

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Sep 2 18:11:12 UTC 2007

At 1:10 PM -0400 9/2/07, Beverly Flanigan wrote:
>Stretching the definition a bit, English "sanction" has always needed
>context to disambiguate.

Well, along those lines, there are all those past threads on both
ADS-L and especially Linguist List from several years ago on "words
that are their own opposites", "antilogies", "enantionymys", etc.
etc., with hundreds of examples.  But most aren't specific to
Janus-faced blessings/curses.  (The category of course includes those
underspecified wishes that sound like they could be the former but
are intended as the latter, e.g. the (real or apocryphal?) Chinese
one, "May you live in interesting times", or the ones Jerry mentions.)

LH