antedating of papiros(a) (1852)

Tue Sep 4 14:04:16 UTC 2007

On 9/4/07, Stephen Goranson <goranson at duke.edu> wrote:

> Quoting Jesse Sheidlower <jester at PANIX.COM>:
>
> > On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 09:31:58AM -0400, Stephen Goranson wrote:
> >> OED has papirosa n. 1857
> >>
> >> The Boston Daily Atlas, (Boston, MA) Friday, October 22, 1852; Issue 97;
> >> col E
[...]
> > Is there a page number for this?
>
> Though the page is not explicitly numbered on the page, from the
> full-page image it is plainly the front page, page one.

This is a quirk of Thomson-Gale's 19th C US Newspapers database --
page numbers aren't explicitly listed in the metadata accompanying
articles, for some reason. What I do is select "browse list" on the
Thomson-Gale interface to see all pages of a particular issue and then
look for the article title to see which page it's on.

--Ben Zimmer