DogGONE!!

Bradley A. Esparza baesparza at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 4 18:30:40 UTC 2007

The Shangril-Las had a hit with a song called Bull Dog in the mid-60's.

RED BIRD 10-043 *THE SHANGRI-LAS* I Can Never Go Home Anymore / Bull
Dog   *(a-side
Billboard/pop #6)*10/1965
I think it was written by their svengali, George "Shadow" Morton. Mary
extoles the dog-like virtue of her boyfriend who must be chained up outside
all night by his mother to keep control of him.

On 9/2/07, Doug Harris <cats22 at frontiernet.net> wrote:

> From today's LA Times, by a female black reporter from
> Britain, who spent 14 months in New Orleans post-Katrina.
> (Note the 'dog' reference in the second paragraph):
>
>   "Our people be everywhere," Dwayne Holmes, a heavyset African American
> 16-year-old, said with a grin one day as he and his pals sat on a stoop on
> street in crime-plagued Central City.
>   Holmes wanted to know whether black youth in England also called each
> other "dog" as a term of endearment.
>   For the most part, we have our own lingo, I told him.
> ---------
> Is this a new usage? Being neither black nor what the quoted reporter
> refers
> to as a New Orleanian, I have no idea if this "term of endearment" is one
> that's been in use there a while, or if it's to be found elsewhere, too.
> 'Any insights, anyone?
> (the other) doug

Bradley A. Esparza

"You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think." Dorothy
Parker, when asked to use the word 'horticulture' in a sentence.