. . . times lower than . . .

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Wed Sep 5 15:21:09 UTC 2007

I share the original concern:  "Five times lower" sounds strange to my ear
and requires mental recomputation every time.  I wonder if this usage has
arisen from a general unfamiliarity with fractional computations?  And
"twice as short" as a 6-inch item would logically mean 12 inches, wouldn't
it?

I don't think we're being old curmudgeons here.  The usage just seems weird!