. . . times lower than . . .

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Sep 5 15:39:09 UTC 2007

At 7:57 AM -0700 9/5/07, Laurence Urdang wrote:
>I wrote nothing about what LH calls "absolute" comparisons, for they are fine.
>   But I cannot agree that "half as long" is the same as "twice as
>short": such an equivalency makes no sense to me.  "Twice" means
>'two times,' not 'half,' and it is beyond me how or why the two have
>become confused.
>   L. Urdang

My point, probably made incoherently, was that one might expect to be
able to say either "twice as short" or "half as long", and that one
might expect them to mean the same (just as "two inches shorter" is
identical to "two inches less long").  Or, to put it another way, one
might expect that "twice as short" would be the opposite of "twice as
long", just as "two inches shorter" is the opposite of "two inches
longer".  But in fact "twice as short" doesn't occur, or if it does
occur, it's not clear what it means.

LH