Yale hot dog story (April 1899)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Sep 5 20:24:29 UTC 2007

>Barry,
>
>As the founding president of the organization YWRACABDOHD (Yalies
>Who Really Are Concerned About Barry's Discoveries on _Hot Dog_), I
>beg for some clarification.  Didn't you in March post, with
>surprisingly little fanfare, an 1893 mention of _hot dog_ in the
>Knoxville Journal?  And doesn't that citation knock out, at least
>until further evidence emerges, Yale's claim to be the birthplace of
>the term _hot dog_?  Inquiring minds want to know.
>
>Fred Shapiro

At least the local inquiring minds can be reassured by the fact that
there is still a dog wagon on Elm Street, even though the Yale
Gymnasium has long since been moved.  I suspect, though, that there
aren't too many Yale (wo)men who can say that Billy the Dog Man's
successors provided the one and only meal they paid for during their
four years in New Haven.

LH