Another one bites the dust?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Sep 6 14:09:34 UTC 2007

At 10:45 AM -0400 9/6/07, Lynne Murphy wrote:
>Both my Pilates teacher (New Zealander, I think) and my yoga teacher
>(English) ALWAYS say 'vertebrae', no matter how many they're talking about.
>E.g. 'Try to move each vertebrae on its own'.
>
>Lynne

Maybe we're being (relatively) unfair, and they're really saying (or
thinking) "(one) vertebra" but pronouncing the last "a" /ey/ as in
"*a* priori" or "prima f*a*cie".  That does involve lengthening it
and putting it through the vowel shift, but what the hay.  The plural
"vertebrae" would then shift orthographically but be phonetically
invariant.

LH