Another one bites the dust?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Sep 6 16:12:47 UTC 2007

>I've often heard "a phenomena" and "a criteria,"  and last night on
>the news someone spoke of "a paparazzi." We deal here with a
>tendency (not a law, though, of course) to shift the plural to the
>singular. I've noticed many more examples over the years, but they
>don't come to mind at the moment.  Maybe it's time to compile them.
>
>Gerald Cohen

A colleague of mine is engaged on a no doubt quixotic quest to
convince local restaurateurs to refer to their grilled sandwich
option as a panin*o*, since it's not actually named for the Sanskrit
grammarian.  Of course it's fine if they offer panini, as long as
they don't do so one at a time.  (Similarly, we might hear "a
ravioli" in the context of one (raviolo) falling onto the floor.

I don't see this as a shift of the plural to the singular as much as
a reanalysis of an opaque plural form as a singular; maybe that's a
notational equivalent to how you're describing it.

LH