hurdling for hurtling

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Thu Sep 6 19:00:50 UTC 2007

>>>From a PECO (Phila. Electric Co.) flyer enclosed with the monthly bill:
>
>...we were pleased to see our customer satisfaction survey results improve
>> during the first half of this year, hurdling past four other companies in
>> our group of 21 large utility peers.
>>
> >The confusion is understandable. Still...
>
>m a m
~~~~~~~~~~~
Really, it's rather apt, considering how often "hurtling" exists in
downward motion contexts: things falling from great heights,&c., whereas
"hurdling" invokes a contest, which our society valorizes above all.
AM

We can have democracy in this
 country, or we can have great
 wealth concentrated in the hands