Texification (Texify)

Barry Popik bapopik at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 6 20:14:19 UTC 2007

O.T.: So I get up this morning, put on my shoes to get the Austin
American-Statesman newspaper, take the blue plastic newspaper bag inside the
house, take off the bag, and it's a New York Times...
Will OED, HDAS, DARE have Texification/Texify? The former sounds like
"toxification" and the latter sounds like "testify"... "Californication" is
a big issue in Austin.
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/texification_texify/

 Entry from September 06, 2007
Texification (Texify)

"Texification" is the Texas answer, perhaps, to the the word
"Californication." When George W. Bush became president, several people
commented that the United States was becoming "Texified" (or, without the
capitalization, "texified"). "Texification" and "Texify" have been in
popular use since the 2000 election, although "Texify" is first cited from
1989 and "Texification" from 1993.

10 January 1989, San Jose (CA) *Mercury News*, Letters, pg. 1B:
...some were from New Jersey and Texas, where they know about oil, and they
said, "don't let them New Jersify or Texify the California coast."

Google Groups: soc.motss<http://groups.google.com/group/soc.motss/browse_thread/thread/2aacb50b64df0182/8e2d62dabdd9704a?lnk=st&q=texification&rnum=25&hl=en#8e2d62dabdd9704a>