Another one bites the dust?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 7 02:02:47 UTC 2007

Well, you'd think that, if a random graduate of an academic backwater
- as it was once described by a UC Berkeley alumna with whom I
foolishly tried to commiserate after she whined, as so many bleepheads
do, "Well, that's not the way they do it where I come from!" - like UC
Davis can learn the distinctions, you'd think that any random Harvard
grad could also learn them, motivated by nothing more than idle
curiosity.

-Wilson

On 9/6/07, Baker, John <JMB at stradley.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Baker, John" <JMB at STRADLEY.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Another one bites the dust?
>
>         I think the avoidance of the masc./fem./plural issue is quite
> conscious.  I recall that at my own alma mater there was a certain
> amount of chagrin that the respective Latin and English pronunciations
> of alumni and alumnae are homophones, as are their respective English
> and Latin pronunciations.  It sounds confusing even to describe the
> problem.
>

> John Baker

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens