Learn to speak Wisconsin

Sun Sep 9 06:49:26 UTC 2007

Just a question for Northern Cities  Vowel Shift devotees and others
from the Great Lakes Area:  Wesconsin (and if you're a native, the
second syllable begins with the /s/) seems to have the same lowered
vowel you get in melk, pellow, Ellinoy for milk, pillow, Illinois.
Does anybody know what the conditioning factor is for that lowering?
It certainly isn't across the board.  My guess is you either have (1)
a preceding labial, (2) a following /l/ or (3) both.  And I'm not
sure it goes through in all those cases either.  If so, though, it
resembles the backing rule you get in my Edinburgh data--the
difference being, where Midwesterners have [E], the Eastern Scots
have [^], but in the same environments.  I don't know whether there's
any connection  historically--probably not.

Paul Johnston