X marrying Y <> Y marrying X?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 10 18:43:09 UTC 2007

Let's not stop, yet! Jim's story reminds of a Missouri example that I
know of. A childhood friend of mine and a Scotsman that she had met
during one of those semester-in-Europe trips got married in a big
church wedding in Saint Louis in 1961. But such a ceremony that took
place in Missouri had no legal standing, because of that state's
anti-miscegenation laws. So, first, it was "into the flivver and
across the river" to East Saint Louis, where they got married legally,
then back to Saint Louis for the big church wedding the following
Sunday.

-Wilson

On 9/10/07, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: X marrying Y <> Y marrying X?
>
> At 7:31 AM -0500 9/10/07, Landau, James wrote:

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens