Learn to speak Wisconsin

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 10 20:56:00 UTC 2007

In truespel that would be ~kumyyuenipau (double consonant starts stressed
syllable).  And tell those "awe" droppers not to change the "awe" at the end
to "ah".  I just heard a guy call the "Nautilus" the "Knotilus".  Pretty
naughty (knotty) of him, no?

Of interest in Indian names is that there is a Manalapan NJ and a Manalapan
FL.  Both mean "good bread".  But I look at that spelling and can't figure
where the stress is.  I assume both are ~Mannalupan (stress on vowel after
double consonant in ~truespel).

See truespel.com - and the 4  truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at
authorhouse.com.

>From: Paul Johnston <paul.johnston at WMICH.EDU>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Re: Learn to speak Wisconsin
>Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 12:18:59 -0400

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Paul Johnston <paul.johnston at WMICH.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: Learn to speak Wisconsin
>
>I say Ka-myun-i-pau (with [o@] at the end like a good North
>Jerseyite), accent on 2nd syllable.  I think I said ka-munn-i-pau
>when I first came to NJ.
>
>Paul
>On Sep 9, 2007, at 10:25 PM, Mark Mandel wrote:

> > -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Mark Mandel <thnidu at GMAIL.COM>
> > Subject:      Re: Learn to speak Wisconsin
> > ---------
> >
> > How DOES one pronounce "Communipaw"? I have a particular reason for
> > asking.
> >
> > On 9/9/07, Paul Johnston <paul.johnston at wmich.edu> wrote:
> >>
> >> Tom should know the set up in New Jersey, where he lives.  When I
> >> moved there, I mispronounced forms for places like Weequahic,
> >> Matawan, and Communipaw and learned 2 correct pronunciations for
> >> Wanaque (though which ones the locals use I don't know.
> >>

> > m a m

Share your special parenting moments!