beet soup

Thu Sep 13 16:01:35 UTC 2007

In a message dated 9/13/07 11:46:01 AM, preston at MSU.EDU writes:

I can't write cyrrilic here, I think, but I looked it up and 'beet soup' is
phonetically [borStS] -- spelled with the symbols corresponding to sounds
represented in English by "b" "o" "r" "sh" (as in English "mash" = --S) and "ch"
(as in English "match" = --tS).

Maybe we are just analyzing the final [tS] differently, i.e., an affricate
consists of a stop + fricative. It is still "sibilant", n'est-ce pas?