1961 article on teen slang

Fri Sep 14 16:22:25 UTC 2007

> On 9/14/07, Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:
>
> The following article by Gay Pauley, UPI women's editor, appeared in
> various newspapers in December 1961. (Newspaperarchive has it in: San
> Antonio Light, Dec. 12, 1961, p. 21; Long Beach Press-Telegram, Dec.
> 14, 1961, p. 8; etc.)
[...]

On 9/14/07, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> HDAS has a "fungus among us" from ca1960, with plain old "fungus" some
> decades earlier.

The earliest I've seen for "there's a fungus among us" is 1957, in
another teen slang article I posted here:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0509A&L=ADS-L&P=R43

"Grody" and "murgatroid" are interesting additions to the list of
synonyms for "square, n." I've only seen "grody" as an adjective
(OED/HDAS 1965), and then with more of a "gross" than "square" sense.
"Murgatroid/Murgatroyd" I suppose is just a funny-sounding name like
"Poindexter". Cassell's Dictionary of Catchphrases notes that Bing
Crosby says "Very good, Murgatroyd" to Bob Hope in Road to Bali
(1952), long predating Snagglepuss of "Heavens to Murgatroyd" fame.

--Ben Zimmer